BITCOIN GOLD MANDATORY NETWORK UPGRADE
This Upgrade will be a hard fork, which means that software upgrades for full nodes and miners are mandatory. (No new coin will be created.) We have already successfully Upgraded the Testnet via hard fork. We and our Partners are proceeding to finalize the necessary upgrades to related software and preparing for the upcoming Mainnet upgrade.
UPDATE: Block 536200 was mined Jul 3, 2018 at 9:59:26 PM UTC. For details, see our blog post.
BTG 2018 Network Upgrade
UPGRADE GUIDES FOR
You will need to upgrade the full node as well as the pool software. The full node can be updated in-place. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us for help:
Why do we need to upgrade the pool software?
The change in PoW algorithm means that both the validation function and solution size will be different, and the block header size has changed. Old pools won’t support the new blocks.
Is there any working pool software?
We have a reference implementation of z-nomp for the fork: https://github.com/BitcoinGold-mining/z-nomp-bitcoin-gold. Please compile and test carefully before using it on production and run it at your own risk. The BTG Org can’t take any responsibility for losses potentially caused by running the reference pool.
If you intend to modify your own pool software, please see the GitHub Upgrade Spec / Guide.
Please follow the guide from the pool if they provide. But basically you will need to know the information below: The difficulty will be reduced by 100x to ensure the profitability because the new PoW is much harder and the PoW switch will cause a lose of hashrate. It also means the mining durning the first a few hundreds of blocks will be much more profitable. Before the hardfork upgrade:
- Make sure your pool will support BTG hardfork network upgrade
- Install the new miner software
- Config and test the miner on a testnet pool, either from your usual pool or our official testnet pool: https://test-pool.bitcoingold.org
- Wait for the hardfork block height
Where to monitor the block height?
- Our blockchain explorer: https://explorer.bitcoingold.org
- The hardfork countdown above is live.
At the time of the hardfork (height 536200):
- Stop your old miner
- Start your new miner
Most typical users of BTG won’t need to take any special actions, other than to update their wallet software as directed by their wallet provider.
Anyone running their own full node will need to upgrade their software – including anyone running the Bitcoin Gold Core Wallet, which is available to download from our GitHub: Bitcoin Gold Core (Full-Node) Walet 0.15.1-rc1.
- Not upgrading a wallet before the fork may result in loss of funds because you may stay on an abandoned chain
- Coins held in cold storage are safe, but the coins should only be later moved with Upgraded software.
Wallet Providers and other Custodians
Wallet service providers should upgrade their full node and change the block validation logic before the fork.
- Wallets relying on a full node (or Insight API): Upgrade the full node before the fork happens
- Full node with Bitcore patches: https://github.com/BTCGPU/BTCGPU/tree/bitcore
- Mobile wallet relying on server-side full nodes: Upgrade the full node before the fork happens
- SPV wallets: Upgrade the full node and the block validation logic
- Not upgrading a wallet or full node before the fork may result in loss of funds because you may stay on an abandoned chain
Exchanges should pause BTG deposits and withdrawals one day before the fork height. When the hashrate of the blockchain becomes stable after the fork, Exchanges can resume regular deposit and withdrawal operations.
A fork period typically has no effect on trading with coins that are already held on Exchange.
- Not pausing the wallet before the hardfork may result in loss of funds because reorgs can happen during the fork
- Resuming wallets too early after the hardfork may result in losing money because reorgs can occur during the fork
- Not upgrading full nodes before the fork may result in loss of funds because an old node may stay on an abandoned chain
Please don’t hesitate to contact us for help: